You may be familiar with mulligatawny soup from Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi episode. But, if you’ve never actually tasted this amazing soup, let me describe its deliciousness by borrowing from the show:
Jerry: You will be stunned.
Elaine: Stunned?… By soup?
Jerry: You can’t eat this soup standing up, your knees buckle!
🙂 And that was how I felt after my first spoonful of this soup. I never wanted to stop eating it. You can easily make a no-meat version of this Indian meal by omitting the chicken and substituting veggie stock for the chicken stock. I would just double the split peas or add 12 ounces of red lentils to the mix.
- 1 Tbs. peanut or vegetable oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 habenero chili, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 shallots, peeled, halved and finely sliced
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 12 ounces yellow split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Juice from two limes
- coarsely chopped cilantro
- finely sliced scallions
- 1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs and drumsticks. Add to pan and brown them on all sides. Once browned, transfer them to a bowl.
- 2. Turn down the heat to medium and add the chile, ginger, garlic and shallot to the pan. Cook until softened and aromatic, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Stir in the spices and the split peas and return the chicken to the pan. Add the stock and water and season with salt.
- 4. Bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 45 minutes until the split peas are tender and chicken is separating from the bone. Give the soup a stir to make sure split peas aren't sticking.
- 5. Remove chicken pieces and transfer to a board or plate. Shred the meat, discarding the skins and bones.
- 6. Return the chicken to the soup, add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- 7. Season to taste with lime juice and more salt.
- 8. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and scallions.