Drowning in tomatoes, zucchini, and basil? Then make this!! It’s a lazy end-of-summer tart, with a flavor that’s so fresh, bright, and full, you’ll forget how easy it was to make. I know this sounds too good to be true, but trust me — after my first bite, I was kind of in love.
I found this recipe at a Blogging over Thyme and she really does it justice with her wonderful photography. A couple tweaks — first, I made the recipe quick and easy by using pre-made crust. I know it would be insanely flavorful with homemade, so if you’re ambitious, head over there and follow her recipe. Second, I adjusted the amounts of ingredients for a typical store-bought 9″ crust and to avoid a really watery pie.
The summer veggies really shine in this recipe. Serve with a big salad and it’ll make you glad the fall frost hasn’t hit quite yet.
- One 9" pie crust
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium sized zucchini (~3/4 pound)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (~3/4 pound)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Pre-head oven to 400
- 2. Line crust with foil or parchment paper and pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes or until bottom is dry.
- 3. While crust is baking, slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch rounds and the tomato into 1/4 inch rounds.
- 4. Combine the olive oil, basil and garlic in a small bowl and mix.
- 5. When crust is ready, brush with a light layer of the olive oil mix and spread parmesan evenly over the bottom.
- 6. Starting on the outside edge of the crust, tightly layer the tomato and zucchini slices alternately and continue until you have spiraled to the center of the crust. A second layer can be added, but make it a light one to avoid a watery result. If you want it to look fancy pretty use larger slices for the outside and smaller ones for the inner part of the circle.
- 7. Brush the top of the pie with the rest of the olive oil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- 8. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until veggies are roasted and crust has browned.
- 9. Let cool a little and serve warm or at room temp.