So, here’s the situation: prolonged heat wave over the entire east coast. Tom told me this morning that the weather had gone funky. Climate patterns, instead of moving from west to east, as is the norm and something we’ve come to rely on, are moving the other way. If that’s not creepy enough, here are a couple more tidbits from the article he was reading, 1) climate scientists have not seen this before, and 2) the weather was likened to being a drunk driver.
With that downright depressing bit of news, a forecasted high of 101 and a heat index of 108, I thought we needed a cool happy drink to go with our panic room. So, I made us some lemonade, which Tom got crafty with adult-beverage style. His drink reminded me of a mojito, but with lemonade instead of lime juice and vodka instead of rum. It is yummy. We’ll be sure not to share it with our old friend, weather, who has sadly taken to driving under the influence.
- 5-6 cups water (depending on your taste for tartness)
- 1 cup lemon juice (from 6-7 lemons)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
- Mix and adjust ingredients to taste.
- 1 cup lemonade
- 3 ounces vodka
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 10-15 mint leaves
- A splash of seltzer water or club soda
- Mix ingredients. Muddle the mint a bit and serve over ice.